26 April 2017
Value for money
Be Wise Challenge generates additional income of £1,705,847 for residents
The results are in! Our 2016/17 Be Wise Challenge sees Hanover staff help generate a bumper £1,705,847 of additional income for residents.
Age UK's new report 'More money in your pocket: A guide to claiming benefits for people over pension age' serves to highlight the key challenges facing older people:
- one in five over 65s are struggling financially,
- 158,000 people aged 65 or above now living below the poverty line UK wide
- £292m is going unclaimed each year in Pension Credit and Housing Benefit alone
In recognition of the importance of boosting income for older people, Hanover supports residents with a range of free services (Be Wise advice) relating to benefits and entitlements, energy switching, home adaptations and contents insurance.
We also hold an annual 'Be Wise Challenge' to record how estate staff, the financial rights team and the energy advisor help residents to maximise their income. Staff can assist with generating additional income in many ways, such as:
- helping with a benefits claim
- assisting a resident to dispute a decision
- comparing different energy tariffs and helping a resident to switch
For 2016/17 the Challenge was to generate additional income for residents of £1.5 million and, with a focus on health and wellbeing, to complete 200 disability claims over the year.
Results now in reveal that the hard work of staff over the last year has surpassed the target by generating £1,705,847 of additional income for residents! In addition, 191 successful claims for disability benefits were completed.
Further information and useful links