skip to main content

Rent, service & support charges

All tenancy charges will be set out in your tenancy or license agreement. By signing your tenancy or license agreement you are agreeing to pay the charges listed within it. The charges are reviewed every year and could be subject to change. The following charges may appear in your agreement:


In return for being a tenant in a Hanover property, you have to pay rent to Hanover. The rent received is used towards the maintenance and management of the property. See our Rent helpsheet for more information.

Service charge

Service charges are charges Hanover makes to residents (that is, tenants, leaseholders and freeholders) for the cost of services we provide. Services we provide might include cleaning or gardening shared areas, a lift and warden call equipment. The service charge will usually include an amount being saved up to meet future costs, for example, replacing a lift or fire alarm. Further details an be found in our Service Charges and Service Charges - What is Included helpsheets.

Support charge

If you live in a property which is managed by Hanover some of the services provided would fall under the heading of support charge. Examples include: responding to individual emergency alarm calls; regular visits to certain residents; and discussing any adaptation requirements (for example, needing a shower instead of a bath). In some cases, these are funded by the local authority. Our Access to care page and Support Services helpsheet contain information on this subject. Financial assistance may be available to help with care and support costs - please visit our Money Wise section to find out more.

Payment methods

Please see our How to pay your rent, service and support charges page for full details.

Other costs

You are responsible for paying the other bills for your property, including gas, water, council tax and home contents insurance. In some properties, the cost of some utilities such as water, heating and hot water are included in the service charge.  If this is the case, it will be included on your tenancy or license agreement. For further information on whether you could qualify for housing or other benefits, please see our Money Wise page.