A Hanover estate and gardens

How to apply for Extra Care Housing

There's a lot to think about if you're considering moving to an Extra Care Housing property at Hanover.

Once you have made contact with the estate manager, they will advise you on the process that needs to be followed. This may include a home visit from the estate manager and an assessment of your needs carried out by the local authority. If you're considering moving with a partner, it may be that only one of you has an assessment. The estate manager will help you with completing an application form and, if your application is approved, will take the form forward to create the tenancy.

If you would like some help in assessing whether it will be affordable for you to move into a Hanover estate, please see our Money Wise page. For assistance with information about benefits and entitlements, please call 0800 0234477 (calls are free from landlines but you may be charged if you call from a mobile, depending on your call plan) or on 01480 224753. Lines are open Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm.

As a responsible landlord, we need to be confident that our tenants will be able to meet their rent payments comfortably and within their budget. Understanding your situation at the earliest possible stage allows us to provide support and advice to get your tenancy right.

With effect from 1 February 2016 we are required by law (Immigration Act 2014) to conduct Right to Rent checks on applicants who will be signing a new tenancy with us.

If you accept a property with Hanover then you, and anyone living with you as their main and principal home, must provide one or several documents from the list of acceptable documents issued by the Home Office. If you do not/are unable to provide these, we are required to do further checks with the Home Office and may not be able to house you.

Please see our Lettings - Right to Rent helpsheet for  further information, and the list of acceptable documents as issued by the Home Office.

For many of our Extra Care Housing estates we have agreements with the local authority to let a percentage of our vacant properties to people nominated by them. On some of our estates we manage the lettings ourselves. If you’re looking to rent an Extra Care Housing property with Hanover, our property search filters will guide you through the various ways to check availability. For estates where the local authority manages the lettings on our behalf, you’ll see the local authority's name and phone number so that you can get in touch with them if you’re interested in applying.

On some estates, due to high demand we have to close the waiting lists from time to time.

It is advisable to visit the estate you're interested in to make sure that it's right for you, especially if you have mobility or access needs. If you use a mobility scooter, you'll be able to check whether the estate has storage facilities. Shared parking is available at nearly all locations, although this may vary from estate to estate.

CORE (COntinuous REcording) is a national information source funded by the Department for Communities and Local Government. It records information on the characteristics of both Private Registered Providers’ and Local Authorities’ new social housing tenants and the homes they rent and buy.

The Homes & Communities Agency requires us to collect information about the properties we let and the types of people we let them to. During your sign-up appointment, your estate manager will discuss this with you and, if you agree, will ask a few questions. All of the information is held anonymously and is used to regulate housing associations and forms part of our governments national statistics on housing.

The CORE ‘2018 Data Sharing Agreement’ can be found in the Guides and Manual section of the Core Communities website.