skip to main content
Back to Insurance Wise

Hanover's home insurance: frequently asked questions

What does contents insurance normally cover?

Contents insurance covers the contents of your home and your personal possessions - all the things you would normally take with you when you move house. Your furniture, carpets, computer, entertainment equipment, CDs, DVDs, videos, valuables, clothing, personal belongings - even the food in your freezer! You may be asked to specify certain higher valued items on the policy.

How much should I insure my home and contents for?

As a guide, contents are all of the items that you would be likely to take with you when moving out of your home. These would include carpets, curtains, furniture, electrical appliances, valuables, clothing and personal effects. Your 'Contents sum insured' must represent the total current replacement cost of all such items in your home.

Do I need to specify all of my valuable items such as furniture and stereo equipment?

No. You only need to specify items that are worth more than £500 and fall under our definition of a ‘Valuable’. Valuables are defined as jewellery, watches, furs, items or sets or collections of gold, silver or other precious metals, works of art, sets of stamps or coins or medals all belonging to you or any member of your family. You would also need to specify items such as dentures, hearing aids, mobility scooters, wheelchairs, spectacles, baggage and personale effects with a single article of over £500 for cover away from home.

Do I need to provide proof of ownership for all of my possessions?

No. However, in the event of a claim, you may be asked to provide evidence of value and ownership such as purchase receipts and instruction manuals. It is essential to provide such documentation for any valuables specified on the policy, such as jewellery, watches or works of art. For new items being added to the policy, we may request sight of a valuation or a receipt.

Are my belongings covered outside the home or when I go on holiday?

Yes. The Hanover Resident's Policy provides cover for Unspecified Valuables away from home on an all risk basis for up to a total sum insured of £3,000 with a single article limit of £500, subject to your main contents sums insured being adequate to include this amount. This cover is for anywhere in the United Kingdom or elsewhere in the world for up to 60 days in any one Period of Insurance.

Is money cover included?

Yes. The policy includes cash in the home for up to £500 and cover is also extended to cover cash away from home for up to £100. But in case of loss or theft this should be reported to the police within 24 hours of the incident for loss away from the home.

Can I arrange insurance cover just for my personal items?

No. A Personal Possessions policy is required for this, and can only be purchased as an extension to a Contents policy.

Is there an excess on the policy?

No. The Hanover Residents Policy does not have a standard excess unless it is specified in the individual’s policy schedule for a particular reason.

Do you offer accidental damage cover?

Accidental damage cover is automatically included in our contents policy as standard.

Am I covered for wear and tear?

Like all home insurance policies, wear and tear is not covered.

Are my appliances covered if they breakdown?

No. The policy does not cover any household appliances for breakdown due to mechanical problems or wear and tear.

If I make a claim, will my premium increase next year?

Not automatically. Claims are reviewed by the underwriters each year and they may decide to increase the rates on some individual policies. Over the past few years, less than 5% of the policyholders who have made claims have seen an increase in their premiums. The remainder of the policyholders have continued to benefit from the low premiums enjoyed by Hanover policyholders.